Savory Spinach Ricotta Pop-Tarts
Author: Gemma Stafford
- 2 cups (10oz/280g) cooked spinach
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) ricotta
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Puff Pastry
- Egg wash*
- In a bowl mix together the cooked spinach, ricotta, egg and seasoning. If you are using frozen, cooked spinach make sure you drain it really well, wring out a small amount at a time in your hands to remove as much the liquid. Set aside in the fridge.
- Roll out thepuff pastry on a floured surface until ¼ – ½ inch thick.
- With a pizza cutter or knife cut your pastry to 3inch x 4inch rectangles. You will need 2 for each pop tarts.
- Spoon the filling onto a piece of the pastry. Take care not to overfill or the filling will come out.
- Egg wash the edges of the pastry around the filling, lay on the top layer and seal the 2 pieces together with a fork. Egg wash the top of the Pop-Tart, this will give your Pop-Tart a lovely golden color. Prick the top with a fork to release steam while baking.
- Bake at 400oF (200oC) for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm from the oven.
- You can freeze the pop tarts raw and then bake from frozen when needed.
- Egg wash: whisk up an egg yolk with 4 tablespoons of milk and brush over pastry